Sunday, May 6, 2012

Book Recommendation: Insurgent

Veronica Roth
Pages: 544
Ages: 14+

After what happened, nothing could ever be the same for Tris. And it isn't. Torn with guilt for what she's done, and sorrow at those she's lost, Tris tries desperately to find new purpose and meaning in a world where factions are crumbling, alliances are shifting, and the city is devolving into chaos. But will her search for the truth drive her further from those she loves?


Even more so than Divergent, Insurgent is an action-filled page-turner. Tris and the rest of the "loyal" Dauntless are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of their pursuers while developing a plan to take back the city and avenge those from Abnegation.


I loved that Tris' character got even more complex in this book. She pushes back emotions that you want her to confront, she reacts in ways that you see will hurt her in the long run. Much of the story explored the nuances of being influenced by the different factions, and I found it disturbing and wholly fascinating. Tris lost some sympathy from me in this book, but I actually love the story all the more for it.  Definitely a favorite for 2012!


READ IT NOW!!!


One thing I will say to those of you who haven't read it yet: Re-read Divergent before diving in. I didn't, and since it had been so long, I got quite lost in the cast of characters. There are a LOT of secondaries in this book, and I felt I didn't get enough time with any one of them to really remember the whole of who they were. So do re-read Divergent (or check out Veronica Roth's "But I read Divergent a year ago!" -- thanks Crystal for pointing this out)


For more Divergent/Insurgent fun, take this quiz to see what faction you are. As I suspected, I was Amity. If I had to choose, I think I would pick Amity, Erudite, or Divergent (obviously)!


Want more book suggestions? See my other Book Recommendations.


But you don't have to take my word for it
Need some more convincing? Check out the reviews of Insurgent at The Pretty Books, It's All in my Head, and the very lengthy review at Reading Teen.

2 comments:

  1. This book is in the mail, on its way to me RIGHT NOW! :) Oh, and FYI, Veronica Roth posted a recap of Divergent on her blog so that people would be able to get their bearings easier without having to re-read because she is awesome: http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/but-i-read-divergent-year-ago-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just downloaded the book, can't wait to start reading tonight! :)))
    -Suzanne
    YA Nation

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis